Monday, August 3, 2009

Alpha II State 4-H Camp


Saturday, July 18th: Mike and I left for Jackson's Mill in Weston, WV. He was dropping me off for a week at camp as a counselor. Saturday evening was full of staff stuff, including a very nice memorial council circle for Joe Wahl, a great man who had been on staff even when I was a camper. This is something that I have wanted to do for a very long time....and now that we are back in WV, I thought I would try. How happy I was to be going!


Sunday, July 19th: The staff had more meetings and such before the campers started coming at 1pm. Let the Playground begin.... The theme of the week was Alpha's Playground. Opening assembly and council circle......good times! (But, honestly, I didn't know what I was doing so I was a little stressed.)


Monday, July 20th: Classes begin. I taught a scrapbooking class....with only 3 girls, but it was fun. They seemed to have fun. Grow-groups started today too....this was where the campers were broken up in to groups of 10-15 by age and were supposed to have discussion and such. Since I had 12-yr-olds, we didn't do a lot of discussing. Most of what I tried to do with them was fun stuff. The rest of my time was spent getting ready for All-Star Induction on Tuesday night. (I was still stressed a little because this was the first full day of camp.)


Tuesday, July 21st: Class, more All-Star prep, grow groups, council circle. I missed a good part of council circle this day because of the All-Star consecration. That was okay....but this was the one council circle that I didn't want to miss. (Things were better from here on out because I was getting the hang of things.)


Wednesday, July 22nd: Class, morning LEO (leisure education opportunity) - I sat at the creativity lab which was quite interesting, grow groups, council circle and then the camp party. With the playground theme, and some grant money, 7 different inflatables were rented for the party. I didn't participate in them, although some of the other adults did. I spent my time looking for a couple of campers and then talking to some of the other staff members while keeping the perimeter of the party.


Thursday, July 23rd: Last day of class, LEOs - I facilitated a Suduko puzzle LEO, last day of grow groups, talent show, Beef BBQ, council circle and candlelighting. The last day of camp, especially council circle, is sad. We have the normal stuff (songs, yells, tribal stunts, etc) but then they recognize the kids that are awarded the H's for the week and such. Then we all make our way from council circle through camp carrying candles and singing to end up at a specific location at the mill where they have a reflection time for the week.


Friday, July 24th: After breakfast and cabins are all packed up and everyone is ready to go, we had final assembly. The camp chorus sang for the last time, and traditionally they sing My Home Among the Hills and Come Home to WV. Both very beautiful songs. After this, they play a slide show with pictures taken throughout the week.


The food was pretty good; the music was good; and the friendships were great. True to 4-H spirit, I made new friends and kept the old, one is silver and the other gold. So many new memories to cherish from this week. I hope to go back next year. I will just know more of what to expect and do as a staff member, especially for things I need to prepare before heading to camp.


How! How! Alpha II!

No comments: